04 September 2012

Philly freebie: Concerts at World Cafe Live every Friday

Quick item today. One of the best entertainment options in Philadelphia is WXPN's Friday Free at Noon concerts. Though they sometimes fill up early because XPN members get advance notice of the artists who will be performing, you can almost always get two absolutely no-cost tickets to the show. And world-class, sometimes very prominent artists, too: I've seen Thomas Dolby, Michael Kiwanuka, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Glen Hansard, The Mekons, Tim Robbins, Sonny Landreth, Hoots and Hellmouth . . .  and a few others I wasn't so much of a fan of, but it's good to expand your appreciation, I guess, every once in a while. And, did I mention, it costs zero dollars.

Since it's broadcast over the radio, the artists keep their sets pretty PG-rated -- so I've never had any qualms about taking my daughter, who's now in her early teens. (She loved One EskimO, who performed a multimedia set.) In fact it's a very fun way to break up an interminable day when the kids are home from school, whether it's weather, a teacher inservice day, or an odd leftover vacation day.

Save money by eating an early lunch at home first; bring earplugs; and meet me and my daughter (if it's a school vacation day) downstairs at 3025 Walnut Street, Phila 19104.

No comments: